Tuesday, January 22, 2013

decor: bedroom corner

A couple of months ago, I added some art to the corner in my bedroom above the brown trunk that I fixed up. Then last week, Tony looked over to my side of the room and asked when that painting went up. You can call him Eagle-Eye Tony, folks. But it made me realize I never blogged about how I finished this little corner.


I like the unevenness of the large framed painting on the left with the tiny cross on the right. But it's balanced down below by the bulky plant on the right and the small planter on the left.

Most of the furniture in the bedroom (dresser, wardrobe, two nightstands) are Hemnes pieces from Ikea in the black-brown finish, so the trunk and now the frame add some natural wood texture to break things up.


Here's a closeup of the cross, which I've had since I lived in Arizona.


I bought it in Nogales, which is a border town that we would visit sometimes. We'd park on the American side and walk across the border and do shopping. The cross is painted blue on the sides with tin on its face, and it has little saints under green glass orbs.

The planter is functional, too. I use it as a jewelry dish.


I keep pieces there that I wear a lot, so I don't have to put them away every night and get them back out in the morning.



The purple and green in the painting and the green in the cross, planter and plant go with the other purples and greens I have in the bedroom. So after living with a blank wall for a year, I'm happy to have it jazzed up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment