Monday, April 22, 2013

recipe: grilled cornmeal mush

Tony and I got a grill for Christmas from my parents, and we have been using that puppy regularly all spring. Food just tastes better with that grill flavor, with some char on it.

The weather was perfect last night, so of course we grilled. I read in the newspaper that you can grill cornmeal mush, so I decided to try my hand at it. I made up this recipe, based on my previous experience with mush and quick Internet research on cooking techniques. It turned out to be a fantastic side dish. Grilled mush is definitely a keeper recipe. (Oh, if you're fancy, feel free to call it grilled polenta.)


It's crisp on the outside and creamy inside with a great charred flavor.


Grilled Mush

  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • pepper to taste

Bring water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Add salt.

Slowly pour cornmeal into boiling water, whisking constantly for 2 minutes to remove lumps as mixture thickens. Be very careful to avoid splattering yourself. (I've been burned before by mush.)

Turn heat to very low and cover. Cook for about 45 minutes, stirring bottom and sides of pan every 5 to 10 minutes. Season with pepper.

Pour cornmeal mixture into a greased mini loaf pan.


Refrigerate until firm, at least two hours or overnight.

Before grilling, remove mush from pan and slice into 6 pieces.

Place directly on grill and cook 10 minutes per side over medium heat.

Serves 2 to 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment