Tuesday, February 19, 2013

decor: orange ikea lamp

A couple of months ago, I pinned a photo of a white metal cabinet from Ikea, which I thought could fit perfectly by the front door and would solve all of my shoe storage/umbrella storage/magazine storage/paper shredder storage problems. I'm 29 years old, so I've reached the point of my life where I'm trying to downsize my Ikea furniture, not add more, but I've been searching for months for a piece of furniture that would fit in that space, to no avail. So on Saturday morning, I finally decided to pull the trigger on the Ikea cabinet, and Tony and I got in the car and made our way to College Park.

Only ... we got there and found out the white cabinet has been discontinued. Extreme disappointment ensued. (They still sell red, though.)

But you can never leave Ikea empty-handed, can you? The geniuses behind the Ikea shopping experience force you to walk through all of their displays, and you can never resist picking up something you love. Like this glass lamp. They got me. I bought it. I'm a sucker. (It was $13 for the lamp + $6 for two bulbs.)


I have it parked on the trunk under the stairs, next to my elephant planter.


The colors in my living room are teal and orange, although I've been thinking I need more pops of orange to make the color scheme more obvious. The shape of the lamp is also very modern, which I like to contrast with all of the antique pieces I have. Plus, this little lamp gives off a nice warm glow in the living room in the evenings.


So, our Ikea trip summarized: one major decor disappointment and one minor decor success. Now I'm stalking Craigslist looking for the Ikea cabinet. Maybe someone in the D.C. metro area is approaching 30, looking to upgrade their furniture, and selling their Ikea stuff online. Fingers crossed, y'all.

<3

In unrelated weekend news, my crocus bulbs started blooming yesterday. Looks like my medicated foot powder technique worked in keeping the squirrels away so far. Spring can't be too far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment