Monday, November 26, 2012

recipe: caramel pecan pie

Hello, pie!


Tony and I had a really relaxing holiday, just the two of us this year. We spent the day cooking together and eating together and otherwise relaxing together. (The rest of the weekend was a different story -- we stayed busy doing a whole bunch of projects around the house.)

For Thanksgiving, I mentioned I'd be making a caramel pecan pie. I got the recipe from my mom, and it turned out to be fantastic.


The recipe calls for 36 caramels, so it's super, super, super rich. If you have a sweet tooth, this recipe is for you. 




Caramel Pecan Pie

  • 1 unbaked pie crust
  • 36 caramels
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups pecan halves 

First of all, I got this recipe from my mom, which means I used my grandma's pie crust recipe. Which is a family secret, so I can't put it on the Internet. Sorry. But check out a similar recipe from America's Test Kitchen here. (But only make half of the recipe because this pie has a bottom and not a top.)

Place caramels in the freezer for a few minutes, which will make them easier to unwrap. (Unwrapping was Sous Chef Tony's job.)


In a sauce pan, combine caramels, butter and milk. (As a sidenote, I almost exclusively use soy milk in my recipes because that's what we buy at the grocery store, and soy milk and cow's milk work nearly identically in most recipes.)


Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth.

When mixture becomes smooth, take off heat and set aside.

In a separate bowl, beat together sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt. (I used my handheld egg beater, which is perfect for little jobs like this.)


Mix in melted caramel mixture. Stir in pecans.

Pour into unbaked crust. Cover with a pie crust shield.


Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove crust shield and bake 5 minutes more. As the pie cools, it will firm up.


No comments:

Post a Comment