Monday, December 3, 2012

recipe: english muffins

Saturday morning, Tony and I had brunch at our house with Ben and Mandy. Tony suggested we have breakfast sandwiches, which I thought was a great idea. I wanted to make the sandwiches on some sort of homemade bread, and after a little Googling, I learned that homemade English muffins are pretty easy to make.


(That's a photo of one of the leftover muffins, which Tony ate with butter. During brunch, I got so caught up in trying my sandwich that I forgot to take a photo until it was half gone. Oops. They were delicious.)


I like this recipe, which I adapted from this blog, because you make the dough the night before. Then in the morning, all you have to do is cook the muffins.

English Muffins

  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon (1 packet) yeast
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • cornmeal

Heat the milk to almost boiling. Remove from heat and stir in butter and sugar. Add yeast and let sit 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix flour and salt in a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer.

When yeast mixture is bubbly, add to the flour and mix. I used the dough hook on my stand mixer.

Let sit for 15 minutes and then stir in salt.

Transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it sit on the counter overnight.

In the morning, use your hands to form six muffin-shaped patties. Drop muffins into a small bowl of cornmeal, then place in an ungreased skillet. I cooked two of the muffins in my small cast iron skillet and the rest in a teflon pan, and they all turned out great.

Cook muffins on the stovetop in the skillet over low heat for 10-20 minutes per side until browned.


Let muffins cool completely on a cooling rack. Split the muffins with a fork, not a knife. Toast before serving.

Makes 6 muffins.


<3

The breakfast sandwiches were very easy to put together in the morning. Each sandwich got two eggs, and on the table I put out white cheddar, lettuce, tomato and mayo. (By the way, this was Dec. 1, and the lettuce and tomato are from my garden ... how awesome is that to be eating garden tomatoes so late in the year?)


Oh, and I also put out French's onions for the sandwiches ... to keep it classy. 


On the side: roasted rosemary mini potatoes. And to drink: Bloody Marys. Yum all around.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessi - Thanks for recommending a pan with Teflon® nonstick coating for use in your English Muffins recipe. I represent DuPont and it's always a pleasure to see people recommending our products.

    If you are interested in some recipes to look at for your cookware with Teflon® nonstick coatings, visit http://www.scribd.com/TeflonBrand! Also, feel free to check out our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/teflonbrand) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/teflonbrand) pages! Thanks. Cheers, Sara

    ReplyDelete