Monday, July 23, 2012

reader question: kale confusion

Dear Jessi,


My husband and I just signed up for a farm share. We absolutely love coming home with bags of fresh veggies every week, but we find ourselves stumped by one item: kale. So far we have added kale to soup, pasta, and a quiche, but we still have a fridge full of the stuff. Any fresh ideas?


Signed,
Superkaleifragilisticexpialidocious


Kale is one of those super foods -- chocked full of vitamins -- that's all the rage lately. That said, I have absolutely no idea how to prepare kale. I've always been a picky eater, and trying new things isn't my strong suit. I've been trying to convince myself for two years to try olives -- still haven't worked up the guts to do it.

However, Jen keeps her fridge stocked with the curly green leaf variety, so I asked her for some advice. Her top recipe? Kale salad, inspired by a salad she fell in love with at Rustik in Bloomingdale.

Kale Salad

  • Kale, stems discarded
  • Beets
  • Celery 
  • Fresh dill
  • Goat cheese
  • Almonds
  • Vinaigrette dressing 

Toss the ingredients, and feel free to make substitutions or additions based on what you have in your fridge and pantry.

xo,
J

<3

Have a question for me? Shoot me an e-mail at rowhouseHOME@gmail.com. If I don't have an answer, I bet I know someone who does! 

No comments:

Post a Comment