Wednesday, August 15, 2012

decor: area rug

I love back-to-school time. I have no use for reams of notebook paper, highlighters, or dorm shower caddies. But I do have a use for inexpensive area rugs, which are plentiful this time of year. 

And why are inexpensive rugs so valued in my home? One word: Victor. 


He's so cute, isn't he? He doesn't look like a tiny furball of destruction. Two issues. First, as I've mentioned, Tony had a choice between adopting a long-haired cat and a short-haired cat. And guess which he chose. Second, we did not remove Victor's claws. And he's not very good at retracting them, so any woven surface he walks across inevitably gets snagged. 

See where I'm going with this? I love inexpensive area rugs. 

Exhibit A, which I picked up at Bed Bath & Beyond last weekend for $30. (Make that $24. Because what kind of thrifty homeowner would I be if I did not always have one of those blue 20-percent-off Bed Bath & Beyond coupons in my purse?) 


It's a 5-by-7 rug, which fits perfectly under my dining room table. I had an IKEA color-blocked rug under the table before, which was nice in theory, but we had to vacuum it every day because it showed cat hair so horribly. The new rug has texture and different shades of cream, and it does a much better job at hiding it. And when Victor inevitably snags this rug with his claws and I have to throw it away, I will not be upset. Because it cost me $24.

No comments:

Post a Comment