Tuesday, August 28, 2012

recipe: hard boiled eggs

I have perfected the hard boiled egg. The yolks turn out perfectly yellow without that green ring that forms when they're boiled for too long. And the yolks are just firm enough. 


I usually boil up a bunch of eggs on Sunday evening, and Tony and I eat them throughout the week. I'll eat an egg for a quick breakfast, or I'll dice one in a salad with dinner, or I'll have one for an evening snack. 

I give my mom 95 percent of the credit for this recipe, although I adjusted her original cooking time to 14 minutes from 15 minutes. (It seems the yolks start to turn green at 15 minutes, and they're not firm enough for my liking at 13 minutes.) 

Hard Boiled Eggs
  • Desired number of eggs
  • Salt 
  • Water
Place eggs in an empty pot or saucepan. (Tip from my grandma, who grew up on a farm: Don't use fresh eggs. They're harder to peel.)

Sprinkle salt over the eggs. (This also helps make the eggs easier to peel.)

Add water to the pot and fill until the water line is about 1 inch above the top of the eggs.

Place pot over high heat until water comes to a rolling boil.

Take pot off of the heat, and cover. Let sit for 14 minutes. 

Drain and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking. The eggs will keep in the fridge for a week.

<3

From the archives: 



No comments:

Post a Comment