Monday, August 13, 2012

entertaining: brunch on the grill

After a summer of unrelenting humidity and temperatures topping 90 degrees most days, yesterday most definitely was a welcome break. The humidity and high temperatures took a vacation -- like most everything else in Washington in August in an election year. And the beautiful weather was a reminder that summer won't last forever and that fall will be here eventually. 

Tony and I spent most of the afternoon outside with Ben and Mandy on the pool deck of their apartment. We came for brunch and stayed to swim -- two of my favorite weekend things. Ben made brunch on the grill at the deck, which was fitting for the day. 

First up, grilled French toast, which was soaked in a batter that included Grand Marnier. Topped with strawberries, also mixed with Grand Marnier, and Cool Whip.  


On the side, grilled nectarines and plums, served over spiced yogurt. That's Greek yogurt, cinnamon, honey, toasted walnuts, and orange zest. 


And this watermelon wasn't grilled, but I have to mention it because this is the first watermelon I've seen in I-don't-know-how-long that actually has seeds. Ben and Mandy got it from their CSA, and I can't say that it tasted any different than seedless watermelons I buy at the grocery store, but it was nostalgic. It brought me back to my childhood, when I would eat the seeds and worry about watermelons growing in my belly.


Rounding out the meal were grilled Canadian bacon and homemade Bloody Marys. A fine meal. And before anyone realized it, it was 4 o'clock. Sunday, you were perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment