Wednesday, August 1, 2012

day trip: fredericksburg, va.

In theory, the trip to Fredericksburg, Va., was supposed to be a little over an hour. A quick day trip from D.C., right? But I-95 never cooperates with my plans. It's stop and go, any time of day, for no apparent reason. 

So Tony, Camille, Matt and I finally got to Fredricksburg about lunchtime. It's one of those cute downtowns. Reminds me a lot of Old Town Alexandria. 


First on the agenda: food. Specifically, Foode. Tony had scoped out this cute little restaurant, and we had brunch. It was about a million degrees in the restaurant, which didn't have AC, so we ate outside in the nice courtyard. 


Tony's raved about his chicken salad sandwich and potato salad: 


As did Camille, over her chicken and egg on a biscuit: 

 

I have to keep my eyes peeled for wide-mouth Ball jars that I can use for glasses. Aren't these the perfect things to drink iced tea out of? 


Second stop: antiquing. Fredericksburg has a handful of pretty nice little antique shops and malls. But it also has a few less-than-impressive stores. I had to leave a couple of them right away because they just smelled so bad. Part of the fun for me at antique stores is discovering nice pieces and then getting a good deal on them. I found a lot of nice pieces in Fredericksburg, but I didn't spy any good deals. Everything was about 30 percent more than I would pay. 

And third agenda item for the day: a Civil War battlefield. The Battle of Fredericksburg was fought here in 1862, and it was one of the big victories for the Confederates. We took a several-miles-long drive through the battlefield, stopping at a few spots to read the signs and take photos. Confederate trenches were visible right next to most of the road. Here's a photo of the trenches, taken at the spot where the battle ended. It's kind of amazing these things haven't eroded away.  


And then, we got back on I-95. Seriously, someone should do something about this road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment