Wednesday, October 17, 2012

recipe: white bean spread

This recipe is so good. And so easy. And so, so good.

My mom made a batch of her white bean spread before I came to visit last weekend, which I loved so much that I ate it for lunch each of the three days I was at her house. It's a can of smashed white beans with dill and some other ingredients, spread on bread of your choice and topped with veggies.

We made this recipe for the first time last year for my sister's bridal shower. We served it with other tea sandwiches, and it was a great vegetarian addition to the buffet.

Here's one of the sandwiches I had for lunch, on flat bread with spinach:


White Bean Spread

  • 15-ounce can cannellini beans
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon chopped dill
  • bread of choice
  • optional assorted veggies: 1/2 cucumber sliced, 6 radishes sliced, 1 cup sprouts and/or 1 cup spinach

Drain and rinse the beans. Put in bowl and smash with a fork. Mix in lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Fold in dill.

Spread on bread. Top with veggies.

Makes 8 small tea sandwiches or 4 large sandwiches.

2 comments:

  1. These are delicious! Can I request some recipes for quick mid-week dinners?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! My friend Gretchen made us a corn-and-arugula pasta dinner this weekend. I'll post the recipe for that.

      Delete