Wednesday, October 24, 2012

things to do: kennedy center mytix

I love going to the Kennedy Center. I love getting dressed up in big earrings and big heels, walking through the grand hallways with a handsome man on my arm who's wearing a jacket and tie. It's so fancy. It's a very D.C. thing to do.


Tony has taken me to the Kennedy Center a few times to see ballets. (I love ballet. Tony loves me.) But those have been splurges for special occasions -- going to the Kennedy Center isn't the kind of thing we do on a regular basis.

But there's good news! The Kennedy Center has regular ticket giveaways and offers discounted tickets for young adults (18-30 years old) through its MyTix program. The idea is to get more young people to the theater to enjoy the performing arts.


Last Friday, I got discounted MyTix tickets to see a play called Famine. As the title implies, it's an incredibly uplifting (sarcasm!) show about the Irish potato famine in 1846. Despite the heavy material and the really depressing nature of the show, it was a wonderful, thought-provoking play with a particularly beautiful set. The show was in the Eisenhower Theater, and our seats couldn't have been better. And the tickets were only $15.

The Kennedy Center sends out e-mails with its current MyTix promotions - I recommend signing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment