Wednesday, October 31, 2012

recipe: individual baked huevos rancheros

A few years ago, Tony and I were visiting our friends Andrew and Erin in New York, and I ordered huevos rancheros at brunch. And since then, I've been kind of obsessed with huevos rancheros for brunch. I order them at restaurants, and I make them at home regularly.

A few Fridays ago, I was talking to my friend Avery about what to serve at brunch the next day with my friend Jen and her boyfriend Andrew. Avery didn't hesitate when she suggested individual huevos rancheros. Clearly I was intrigued.

Oh my gosh, these things were a hit. First of all, they look impressive. They're a unique dish to serve. And they also taste so good.


Individual Baked Huevos Rancheros

  • 8 small flour tortillas
  • 1 1/2 cups pico de gallo
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups eggs (about 10 eggs), beaten
  • 1/2 cup colby jack or cheese of choice
  • guacamole for serving
  • sour cream for serving

Butter 8 cups in a muffin tin. I used jumbo muffin tins. (If using a regular muffin tin, cooking time may be shortened.)

Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds to soften. Mold the 8 tortillas into the buttered muffin tins.

Divide the pico de gallo and black beans into each of the tortilla cups. (Note: I made my own pico de gallo with enough chopped tomatoes, hot banana peppers and onion to measure 1 1/2 cups, then added a splash of lemon juice, a splash of olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.)

Top each tortilla cup with 1/4 cup egg. (Make sure not to spill the egg between the tortilla cup and the muffin tin, or it makes a mess. Speaking from experience -- Tony ate that one.)

Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes.

Top with cheese and place back in the oven for 15 more minutes, or until eggs are firm.

Serve with guacamole and sour cream.

Makes 8 individual huevos rancheros and serves 4.

2 comments:

  1. Already totally put this on Pinterest. This looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz :) And omygosh they really are amazing

      Delete