Monday, June 4, 2012

dining out: matchbox

I've eaten at the Matchbox on Barracks Row several time for dinner, but Sunday was the first time I was there for brunch. And it was good. In fact, I prefer their brunch menu to their pizzas.

Tony and I met up with Dena. She became buddies with Tony with when they worked together in Augusta, Ga., and now we all live in D.C. We got to Matchbox about 11 a.m. and there was no wait, which was a first for me at Matchbox. Score. A jazz band was playing. Double score. And the food was fabulous. Triple score.

We all shared a cast-iron skillet of cinnamon rolls. Now I'm going to have to keep an eye out for a cast iron skillet because I want to make these at home.


I ordered the huevos rancheros, and I particularly enjoyed the flaky tortilla. Dena ordered the crabcake benedict, and Tony got the apple and pear salad, and both reported their meals were tasty.


Matchbox has several locations, and the Barracks Row restaurant is at 521 Eighth St. S.E.  

No comments:

Post a Comment