Thursday, June 21, 2012

recipe: cherry chocolate cake

I was skeptical of this recipe at first. It calls for a box of cake mix. I don't do cake mix. I can't even remember the last time I had a box of cake mix in my pantry. I'm a measuring-spoons-and-mixing-bowl girl. 

But now I'm a believer. This cake is the exception to my rule. My mom made this cake last weekend, and it was just the right amount of moist with a nice cherry flavor.  


Cherry Chocolate Cake
  • 1 box devil's food cake mix
  • 1 can cherry pie filling
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
Mix all ingredients together. Pour in a greased 9-by-13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. When cool, dust with powdered sugar. 

<3


The other lovely thing about this cake is that my mom served it on these quite beautiful mismatched, pink rose plates. Perfect for eating cake on the deck on a summer night.

She started collecting these dishes a few years ago to use at my bridal shower. She picked them up here and there at flea markets and thrift stores, and now she has a service for 30. Dinner plates, lunch plates, dessert plates, bowls, cups, saucers, salt and pepper shakers, serving dishes. I asked her how much she spent, and she said she paid around 50 cents each. It's a funky, inexpensive set of china.


<3


From the archives:  



No comments:

Post a Comment