Tuesday, June 26, 2012

the garden: harvest update

The veggies are finally here! Cherry tomatoes. Early Girl tomato. Cucumber. Hot banana pepper. All in my belly. Now we can say summer officially has arrived.

Let's talk cherry tomatoes. Of everything I've eaten out of my garden so far this year, the cherry tomatoes have been the best tasting, hands down. It's like all of the flavor of a big tomato got concentrated into a bite-sized tomato. Next year I've got to figure out how to get, like, 10 cherry tomato plants into my backyard.


But that's not to say the Early Girl tomato wasn't good because it was very good. The main appeal of the Early Girl is that it's the first tomato of the season.


I also picked my first cucumber this week, and it just happens to be my very favorite vegetable. I don't think we could ever have too many cucumbers in the fridge.


And we had our first hot banana pepper, which arrived June 23, ahead of schedule. The label said to expect maturity 75 days after planting, which would've put us at July 12. Bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment