Friday, June 8, 2012

tourism: dressing right

It's pretty cool that I live in a city where people choose to come on their vacations. The tourists tend to get on the nerves of locals, and I have to admit that I, too, at times have been annoyed when the Metro escalators get clogged with tourists who stand on the left side. (Stand on the right ... walk on the left ... thank you.)

But, overall, I like that tourists come here, and I happily oblige when asked to take group shots at the monuments.

Yesterday morning I was walking around the Capitol, and one group of school kids on a class trip caught my eye. The boys were wearing khakis and button downs, and the girls were in summer dresses. And I have to hand it to their teacher or whoever coaxed those kids into their Sunday best. When you're visiting Congress or the White House or the Supreme Court, dressing up shows you have respect for the institution. And you'll command the respect of all those grumpy locals if you leave the white tennis shoes and baseball caps at the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment