Saturday, June 2, 2012

project: birthday cards

Tony and I grew up in Ohio, but we've chosen D.C. to be our adopted hometown. When you move to a new city without your family, it's so important that you have good friends.

Growing up, my friends were the kids I went to school with, and in college I made friends with the kids in my journalism classes and the ones I worked with at the student newspaper. But once you're in the working world -- and especially if you move to a new city -- you have to be more creative. Maybe you make friends with your coworkers, although that can be complicated if things go sour. Maybe you join a bocce ball team or befriend your neighbors or rekindle a childhood friendship if you both happen to have moved to the same city.

Looking for new couple friends is like dating. Either you click or you don't. Tony and I once went out to dinner on a double date, and when the check came, the husband calculated, to the penny, what portion of the tax we each owed. There was no second double date.

But we clicked with Camille and Matt. We even have a meet-cute. It was 2009. Tony and I were newly engaged, and we were taking pre-cana classes at St. Peter's on the Hill. You have to take these classes if you get married in a Catholic church. Camille and Matt, who were engaged too, were in the class with us. We bonded over an extremely graphic explanation of how to execute natural family planning.

Tony and I got married around the same time Camille and Matt did, and we each bought our houses (on Capitol Hill for us, in Shirlington for them) around the same time, too.

We're heading out to Shirlington tonight for a combined birthday celebration for Camille and Matt. I very rarely find Hallmark cards that capture my oddball sense of humor, so (when I have time) I make birthday cards for my family and friends. I have a stockpile of blank cards, and I decorate them with photos I find in magazines and newspapers.

For Camille (because we share a desire of someday wanting to raise chickens):




For Matt (because he loves dogs -- and I just thought this photo is ridiculous):


No comments:

Post a Comment