Wednesday, June 20, 2012

the garden: inspiration from mom

If I have a green thumb, my mom's gotta have, like, green fingers, hands, and forearms. Her yard looks like the grounds of a museum. The most amazing things she has going on this year are her geraniums. Some she planted from seed, others she grew from cuttings of plants, and still others she saved from last year by keeping them dormant over the winter.  

I am in love with this deco-looking planter that she has in her backyard. I tried to convince her to let me take it home when Tony and I were in Ohio last weekend, but, alas, apparently she's also in love with it. I will have to admire it from afar. 


And how cute is this Shawnee bird planter? She has it in her kitchen window. She wouldn't let me take this back with me either. 


Mom also has a little bit of D.C. in her backyard, which is super sweet. Earlier this year, we were at Community Forklift in PG County, which I describe as a a thrift store for home improvement supplies, and she picked out this old porch post and hauled it back to Ohio. She got my dad to cut off the rotting wood, paint it, and build the birdhouses. Rowhouse birdhouses. An homage to her kid's home. Super sweet.  


And she had her eye on this lovely concrete planter from Frager's on the Hill, so my dad bought it for her for Mother's Day:


<3

No comments:

Post a Comment