Monday, June 4, 2012

life: picnic at lincoln park

I mentioned last week that I have a bounty of lettuce in my garden right now. Tony and I put some of it to use Saturday afternoon. We made big salads, grabbed a blanket, and headed down the street to Lincoln Park for a picnic. I always say that May in D.C. has the perfect weather, and that perfect weather carried over to early June.

Lincoln Park was the site of a hospital during the Civil War. After the war, the hospital was torn down, and the park was selected to be the site for a monument to President Lincoln. The statue was purchased by freed slaves and put up in 1876, and it always makes me think that the Civil War really wasn't that long ago. Today, Lincoln Park is a nice community gathering spot, full of dogs and their owners, children on the playground, and young people laying in the sun.


I keep an old blanket in the trunk of our car for just the occasion. It's dedicated to outdoor use, like picnics and fireworks, so I don't worry about it getting a little dirty, and it never comes into the house.

Tony caught a nap while I caught up with People magazine and painted my nails a fun purple. Here we are, post-nap:


P.S. I'm loving this Southwestern t-shirt, which I got at Target for $14.99. It goes perfectly with some of the Indian jewelry I picked up when we lived in Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment